The attendance policy adopted by the Clark County School District Board of Trustees, CCSD Regulation 5113, states that secondary students who exceed TEN (10) unapproved absences in any course during a semester will not earn credit for that course. This may be adjusted for schools that adopt a block schedule. The student may be retained in the current grade or be referred to an alternative education program.
It is the policy of Liberty High School to 1) encourage maximum attendance on the part of students and 2) require absent students to explain their absences.
Liberty High School is on a block schedule and will apply the six (6) unapproved absence limitation to all classes. When you reach seven (7) unexcused absences in a class, you will be denied credit in that class.
Absences will be approved when:
- A student is physically or mentally unable to attend school due to a medical appointment or illness;
- The written approval of the principal has been given upon the request of the parent within three (3) days of the student's return from the absence;
- The approval of the principal has been given for an unavoidable absence due to an emergency;
- Absences have been prearranged, upon the prior written request of a parent or legal guardian; all prearranged absences (ten or fewer) will be approved;
- The student is absent due to a required court appearance or a required religious holiday.
Absences will be unapproved when:
- A note from your parent was not turned in within three (3) days of the absence
- It was not pre-approved in writing;
- It was not due to the physical or mental inability of the student to attend school.
- Must be requested in advance and in writing by a parent or guardian;
- Forms are available in the attendance office;
- After ten prearranged absences, the absence will be counted as unapproved and will count toward loss of credit.
For an absence to be approved, you must bring a note to the attendance office within three (3) days of the last absence. This note must contain:
- Full name of the student.
- Student's grade and student number.
- Date(s) of the illness.
- Specific illness (i.e., flu, measles).
- Full name of the parent/guardian (printed and signed).
- Telephone number of parent/guardian.